Gainesville High School
Library Learning Center
For GHS Student Library Aides
Most important terms to acknowledge in being a student library aide:
FlexibilityClink on the link to study the Dewey DecimalClassification System: DDCStudent library aides must be willing to carry out the tasks that propel a library to be an inviting, productive, and efficient area for students and teachers to access the resources they need to enhance their educational experience. As a student library aide, you will perform the following tasks as many times during the period as it takes to meet the needs of our school community.
You must have the people and computer skills to check out books and answer questions while working at the circulation desk.
These are the tasks that must be completed on any given school day:
SERVE OUR GHS COMMUNITY!
CHECK OUT BOOKS.
EXPLORE THE CATALOG.
LEARN LIBRARY SKILLS.
CHECK IN BOOKS.
PREPARE BOOKS FOR SHELVING.
BECOME FAMILIAR WITH THE DEWEY DECIMAL SYSTEM AND THE ORGANIZATION OF THE LIBRARY
- Privacy and Confidentiality – Student library aides have access to information that is confidential. Any information should NEVER be shared with others.
- Student “Office” Area – An area has been created just for you and your things for the class period that you are working ONLY! Your cell phone must be put away while you are working.
o No friends or unauthorized students behind the counter or in the back room.
o Keep your things clear of work areas, and walkways.
o Do not use the library as storage. Take your things with you when you leave. Clean up area for the next student aide.
- No eating or drinking while manning the circulation desk. Professional behavior is required.
- Circulation Desk –Lots of important/private information here! I am trusting you to be a professional.
o Keep your actions and speech appropriate.
o No friends behind the counter.
- You are only allowed behind the counter during the class period you are working, unless your assistance is otherwise requested.
We have lots to do here in the library, and you will be expected to perform everyday! These are only a few of the tasks you will encounter. There will be many more.
Check out books to students & teachers
There is never "nothing" to do in the library. Always ask, "What do I need to do next?" when you finish a task.
You must have a hall pass to leave the library during your library aide period.