Where are we now
On July 19, 2021, FSC co-chairs Martin Phillips and Rachel Pickett, on behalf of the committee, made a recommendation to the Board of Trustees for a bond proposal for a new middle school campus. The FSC unanimously agreed to recommend that the Board of Trustees call for a bond election that totals $70,000,000 to build a new Middle School that would replace the existing Gainesville Junior High School, resulting in a tax increase of approximately $17.35 a month for a home valued at $100,000. It is recommended that the new middle school would be constructed on the same site as the existing JH campus and serve grades 6-8.
The consideration and possible approval of calling a bond election for November 2021 will be an action item at a future Board meeting. To be placed on the November ballot, a bond election must be called on or before August 16, 2021.
To view the power point recommendation presented to the board, click here>>> FSC recommendation to Board of Trustees
Facilities Steering Committee Purpose
The Gainesville ISD Facilities Steering Committee will serve in a temporary advisory capacity to the Board of Trustees and Administration to:
- Consider the educational needs of all students and align with the district’s mission, vision and goals
- Represent the entire community, its values and perceptions in the facility-planning process
- Assess and prioritize the district’s current and long-term facility needs, including new construction, renovations and capital improvements
- Bring forward recommendations to the Board of Trustees as to how to address the district’s facility needs, including what should be included and how much money should be requested in a possible bond election
The committee will engage in discussions about:
- Demographic Reports and Enrollment Projections
- Existing Facility Conditions
- Grade Alignment
- School Finance
- Bonding Capacity & Impact of a Potential Bond
- Building Needs, Potential Solutions & Cost Analysis
- Results of Community Survey
- Priorities for Gainesville ISD Facilities
The Facilities Steering Committee (FSC) process is designed to be open and transparent. All FSC meetings will be posted as Board meetings and will be open to the public. Non-committee members in attendance are invited to sit in the designated section for visitors and to listen, but not verbally participate. The non-committee members are encouraged to submit their questions and/or comments in writing on note cards that will be available at each meeting. Those questions and comments will be shared with the committee members and the Board of Trustees. Answers will be communicated via email to guests who provide an email address on the note card.
Jennifer Diane Turner